Oklahoma City TMJ Disorder Treatment
Temporomandibular joint disorder, also known as TMJ Disorder or TMD, can have a profound effect on your life, leading to serious jaw pain, limited range of jaw movement, headaches, and neck pain. Fortunately, OKC Dental Arts offers effective treatment for TMJ at our Oklahoma City practice. As restorative dentists, Dr. Michael Fling and Dr. Cama Cord are well versed in the interplay between the TMJ, the teeth and the musculature. Given those considerations, they are well trained to provide therapies that may lead to significant improvement. They can determine if you have TMJ disorder and often can provide orthopedic treatments for the condition. With extensive training and some of the most advanced equipment in the industry, Dr. Fling and Dr. Cord are recognized as leaders in TMD treatment in Oklahoma City.
What Is TMJ Disorder?
TMJ disorder may exhibit inflammation in the muscles and ligaments around your jaw. Often, this inflammation is due to structural damage in the bone or the soft tissue interface between the bones in the TMJ. There is a disc comprised of soft tissue that serves as a cushion between the bones in the TMJ. This disc can be stretched, torn, thinned or even perforated. This may result in a disc that is not stable allowing it to move in and out of place, to remain out of place, or to not be protective enough under jaw movements. In other cases, an imbalanced bite or dental misalignment could put uneven pressure on the joints. Even if you do not sustain structural damage, this uneven force could dramatically inflame the soft tissues. Finally, bruxism (gritting and grinding) can have similar effects on your TMJs.
TMJ Disorder Symptoms
Whatever the cause and specific type of joint damage that you have sustained, TMD can cause a host of symptoms. Your particular side effects can vary, and they may be more or less pronounced, depending on the severity of your condition. Symptoms can include:
- Facial pain: Jaw pain that may consist of a dull, throbbing, and near-constant ache. Alternatively, you may have sharp, shooting sensations especially when you bite down.
- Widespread discomfort: You could feel discomfort that spreads to your neck, shoulders, and even upper back.
- Headaches: You may suffer from chronic headaches that are very similar to tension headaches. However, if traditional headache remedies have not been successful, it is vital that you visit a dentist.
- Ringing in the ears: TMD may cause ear pain and ringing in your ears since nerves run close to your jaw joints and into your ears.
- Popping sounds: You could notice slight cracking or popping with jaw movement.
- Difficulty opening your mouth: Similarly, you may feel a grating sensation when you move your jaw, or you may find it impossible to open or close your mouth all the way.
Outstanding Treatment For TMJ Disorder In Oklahoma City
After evaluating your symptoms and carefully examining your jaw, musculature and bite, Dr. Fling and Dr. Cord will provide fully personalized treatment. Mouth guards or orthopedic appliances are the most common and conservative solution. These devices are custom designed from digital impressions of your teeth. Your appliance will fit over your teeth and is adjusted to allow the most appropriate bite to reduce jaw pressure, diminish muscle activity and to reduce inflammation. Duration of wear is dependent on your individual circumstances. Other contributions to treatment may include home care instructions, medications and physical therapy. In rare and extreme circumstances, surgical or orthodontic intervention is required.